Early Impacts of Marcellus Gas Drilling in Tioga State Forest
Photo and annotations by Dick Martin (PaForestCoalition.org)
Tioga State Forest, Ward Township, Tioga County
Fortuna Energy Inc.
Tract 587 #1H (Permit # 117-20285)
Permit includes 5,648 acres
Aerial Photo #8320.
Details are based on a file search at the Williamsport DEP office on November 18, 2009.
- Location: N 41 42' 7.27" W 76 58' 21.24" Gleason USGS Quadrangle
- All photos were taken on October 1, 2009
- View east of the complex being constructed at Fallbrook Road
- Total disturbed area: 105.1 acres. Total may not include roads and pipeline ROW (right of way).
- Well site 02-001 is on the left, north of Fallbrook Road.
- Impoundment #2 is on the right — 14,841,128 gallons.
- Water for the site will be withdrawn from the Fallbrook and Fellows Creeks. Drainage from the site is to the same two creeks, then to the Tioga River.
- Well site 02-002 (top-right of photo 8320)
- Each well site may contain multiple wells. Each individual well will be drilled vertically to the target depth, then horizontally in a different compass direction in order to maximize gas production.
- At center of photo 8320 is a compressor station pad. This area is 300 x 360 feet.
- The tan area between the compressor site and impoundment #2 is being cleared for an 8,515,651 gallon reservoir (this is also visible at left in photo 8311 and center of 8320). This area is approximately 200 x 600 feet.
- Not shown in the original photo, but noted by a line trending north is the area of a 40-foot right-of-way for Fortuna Mt. Ridge Pipeline, which will export the gas. This pipeline will extend from 4,500 to 5,000 feet to another pipeline.
- Fortuna will use a Polymer Brine mud system. Function tests up to 2,500 PSI.
- A wetland exists immediately south of this site. The effects of water withdrawal and drainage on the wetland is unknown.
Courtesy of D. Martin, Coordinator www.PaForestCoalition.org
The Pennsylvania Forest Coalition is a unique alliance of hunters, hikers, anglers, landowners, wildlife-watchers, paddlers, bikers, churches and conservation groups who are united in our concern for the stewardship of our public lands.
SIGN UP FOR CONSERVATION UPDATES with www.PaForestCoalition.org. Please mention your affiliation(s) (such as Hunter, Angler, Hiker, Watershed, Birdwatcher). PA Forest Coalition messages are brought to you as a public service; in compliance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed free and without profit or payment for educational purposes only.
Back to Issues Page
Back to DCNR Gas Drilling page