Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Considering that 75% of what we throw away can be recycled, it’s not surprising that Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is the mantra of environmentalists everywhere.
Want to do you part?
- » Find out what your community recycles and then recycle as much of your waste as possible. To locate nearby recycling centers, go to www.earth911.org.
- » Shop with the environment in mind. Buying in bulk and buying products in recyclable containers will enable you to significantly reduce your waste.
- » Buy products that can be repaired and reused rather those that can only be thrown away when they break.
- » Avoid hazardous products like petroleum-based bug or weed killers that will leach toxins in landfills once they are thrown out.
- » Compost your organic waste. If your community doesn’t have a yard waste collection program, compost your yard clippings and food waste in your backyard.
- » Close the recycling loop by buying products made from recycled content, including plastic lumber, and paper products such as tissues, paper towels, and office paper.